Monday, October 15, 2012

The Italian Island of Capers, Olives and Wine


The gateway to discovery. Atlanta to Milan. Milan to Pantelleria.  

The Pleasures of Pantelleria. 
I'd never even heard of Pantelleria until I received an email inviting me to join a group of food writers, food purveyors and nutrition researchers for a trip with Oldways Preservation Exchange and Trust in September.
Oldways was founded to study and preserve the healthy ways folks used to eat and gather their food - from the mountains to the sea. 




Pantelleria. Don't you just like saying it?Now find it. It's an island off the coast of Sicily in the Mediterranean Sea not too far from Tunisia. This is about as south in southern Italy as you can get. There's something irresistible about an invitation to someplace you've never heard of before. When I read that the island was famous for capers I replied to my hosts, "You had me at capers."





Benvenuto!

Arriving alone at the slightly modernistic looking Pantelleria airport (most folks in our Old Ways group traveled from New York or Boston or LA through Rome) my 30-something taxi driver who spoke only "hello" and "thank you" English was quite busy chatting in Italian on his flip cell phone while we crossed the island past lots of rocks and cactus in bloom and sweeping views of the Mediterranean.

I took a photo of him and he smiled shyly. No, I don't have a crush on you - I just haven't seen anyone on a flip phone in a while. OK, on my best behavior. For now.


A tiny island of rough black, umber and grey volcanic rock soon softens to the eye with cascades of glorious flowers.
Purple and white bougainvillea abound.

 Stone walls are everywhere - Pantescan people are really good with rock. Tumbling out of crevices are long green tendrils that I soon learn are the mighty little plants that give us capers.  A little lemon and olive oil with this edible landscape and I'm ready to toss with pasta.
But, don't be tempted to pluck a wild caper and sample - I'll explain why later.

Caper plants spring boldly from boulders on Pantelleria.
This might be my favorite photo.




Sunset over the Mediterranean from my patio at The Mursia Hotel on Pantelleria. 


Alora, we arrive at the Mursia Hotel. The white washed building with a Moorish look  (we're only 36 miles from North Africa here) rises above the black lava rock majestically without need of embellishment. Entering the breezy lobby my eye is drawn beyond the reception desk to what I had been dreaming of all day. A swimming pool. Palm trees were a bonus. It's about 85 degrees outside.

Let me explain. The huge pool in the foreground is empty - an old pool once filled by the sea.
The new pool at The Mursia surrounded by palms and lounge chairs is nearer the hotel bar. Nirvana- a salt water pool.


So far the only Italian word I really like is "Alora!" which I think means OK or implies "what's next?" or "then..."....which is like my favorite Spanish word "Entonces!" I will never work as a translator at the UN. But, I do know how to rally a group. "Alora! Time for a drink folks."

Winery Owner Cologero Mannino of Abraxas offers up a taste of the island's specialty - slightly sweet, nicely balanced  passito de Pantelleria wine.

How about another glass of wine? This is Italy. That's better.

Alessandro Luchetti bound for Florida International University in January demonstrates his handsome host skills.


Starting to relax into the Mediterranean lifestyle. 

Stay tuned for the next post......as the pleasures of Pantelleria continue. 











No comments: