Sunday, January 30, 2011
The Juicy Scoop on Florida Grapefruit
Sure it's easy to find fresh seasonal fruit under the summer sun, but did you know that winter is the best season for citrus? Gorgeous grapefruit from Florida are tumbling into supermarket produce sections and ready for you to section into breakfast bowls, over dinner salads, over yogurt and even as a wonderfully sweet and tart dessert. Cut juicy pink grapefruit in half and run under the broiler for a few minutes to caramelize the natural sugars in Florida grapefruit. Refreshing Florida grapefruit tastes like sunshine and not only brightens up winter taste buds; it offers a terrific source of vitamin C, potassium and dietary fiber.
One-half of a medium Florida grapefruit contains only 60 calories. With fewer than 100 calories per 8-ounce serving, grapefruit juice contains fewer calories than many commonly-consumed 100 percent fruit juices. It's the juice you want for weight control!!
Not only is it peak grapefruit season, but February is National Grapefruit Month, so here are some delicious ideas for infusing the fresh flavors of Florida grapefruit and 100 percent grapefruit juice into meals and snacks.
Delicious on its own, grapefruit also pairs perfectly with a number of foods to provide added flavor and nutrients to your favorite dishes, making a tasty addition to citrus salsas, salads and post-workout smoothies. Here are some ideas to add tangy sweetness to your meals:
• Toss grapefruit segments into a shrimp stir fry to add a punch of tangy flavor and great texture.
• Reach for grapefruit segments as a topping for cereal, waffles, pancakes, or in a low-fat yogurt parfait.
• Bake half of a medium Florida grapefruit with a topping of brown sugar for a twist on the traditional breakfast treat.
• Marinate chicken in grapefruit juice for zesty, mouth-watering flavor.
• Freeze grapefruit juice in ice pop holders for a nutritious frozen treat.
• Prepare salad dressing with grapefruit juice instead of vinegar for a citrus flavor burst.
To learn more about the health and nutrition benefits of grapefruit and 100 percent grapefruit juice, check out the new Florida grapefruit Facebook page and application, “Juicy Scoop.” http://www.facebook.com/juicyscoop
This interactive new site offers the inside scoop on the most effective workouts, best new restaurants, functional foods, cool styles and beauty secrets. Also, be sure to check us out on Twitter @JuicyScoop to receive all of the hottest updates.
Juice Scoop Event in Atlanta this Thursday.I'll be at Lennox Square Mall on Thursday, February 3rd from 5pm - 8pm with tasty samples of my recipe for Grapefruit Avocado Salsa. Prizes and fun with a fitness expert and make up artist, too.
Posted by Carolyn O'Neil at 5:22 PM